As you build and grow your online business, there are 5 top e-commerce platforms that you may want to take into consideration.
These firms have continued to deliver and innovate more sophisticated and powerful features on their E-commerce Platforms.
This has been as a result of increasing demands of consumers for convenience and more competition. Mobile commerce is now the leading platform of every e-commerce firm. This is following the announcement by Google in May last year, which cell phone searches surpassed desktop searches.
This has led to E-commerce Solutions putting a “mobile first” approach to your shopping experience. There has been a belief by these commerce firms that the mobile first approach puts you at a competitive advantage from the word go. It is vital that your e-commerce website design is mobile friendly. Considering hiring an experienced ecommerce web designer.
Moreover, socio-commerce blossomed throughout the year. About 74% of online shoppers are influenced by social media. 60% of retail stores said that they improved their consumer base and developed a loyal clientele after implementing social commerce.
Allowing consumers to purchase directly from social media channels of their choice rather than having to relegate to a different shopping cart is important. This is because social commerce gives the consumer the utmost convenience in getting their product or service of choice.
While great user experience design and SEO are paramount, the current E-commerce Platforms are looking to utilize social and mobile commerce trends. The simple nature of these platforms is additionally allowing new players with a non-technical background.
With this consumer needs and the dynamic requirements of today’s e-commerce business in consideration, we have identified five platforms that are likely to serve entrepreneurs most effectively.
BigCommerce currently hosts over 55,000 stores online. The platform was launched in 2009 and is among the leading providers of e-commerce software. BigCommerce ideally takes care of stores and businesses of all sizes. From Toyota and Martha Stewart to SMEs.
This E-commerce Platform is considered to be the ideal choice for those with little or no technical knowledge in e-commerce. This is because it provides a comprehensive list of built in features for the consumer who does not have the time to learn the code.
Advantages of using the BigCommerce Solution
- Does not have a transaction fee
- It comes with a feature where you can integrate your business with eBay, Facebook, Google shopping and a variety of comparison sites
- A smooth mobile experience is offered by the free and paid themes that are very responsive
- A choice of inbuilt features which comprise newsletters, shipping, tax analytics, coupons and much more.
- Reliable support complete with a very helpful setup wizard, comprehensive guides with visual aids and a range of educational videos
The only downside with this platform it lacks free themes. As of today, BigCommerce only offers seven free items which are relatively few. This is considering that most of its competitors provide more than 20 free themes.
However, BigCommerce has many premium themes, and the platform also allows customization of these themes that can be relevant to your business whenever you want to give it a new and unique feel.
This E-commerce Platform is designed with a specific objective; to assist startups in developing e-commerce systems efficiently. This is possible thanks to its wealth of features and smart pricing models. For any consumer, YoKart is the one-stop solution for the launch of multi-vendor stores like Etsy and eBay. YoKart provides its multi-vendor version seamlessly unlike other e-commerce platforms.
Advantages of using the YoKart platform
- A multi-vendor marketplace solution that is ready to launch
- A dedicated Android app and a mobile-friendly platform for marketplaces
- Similar features across all pricing packages
- For merchants and store owners, there is are extensive manuals, FAQs, video tutorials and a one-year store management free support.
- The source code is yours, and you can customize the portal to fit your needs
Unfortunately, there are no third-party extensions that are available currently for YoKart. This is especially the case if you are relatively new to the market. However, the platform offers an in-built analytics tool for over twelve support payment gateways. Other tools include discount coupons and reward management features.
One of the big negatives is the absence of social commerce capabilities on the platform. This means that there are no features to allow merchants to sell on Facebook and other social media. YoKart remains an excellent choice for multi-vendor stores such as Etsy and eBay.
With its focus on mobile shopping and social commerce, Shopify hosts over 300,000 online shops worldwide. Shopify, unlike other E-commerce solutions, continues to develop to meet the online store’s requirements of the 21st century.
Benefits to using the Shopify platform as your E-commerce solution
- Can connect your online store with your Facebook page and sell directly on the social media platform
- Comes with the choice of over one hundred themes
- Seller mobile apps and an inbuilt shopping cart that is mobile friendly
- Provides a platform to link and connect retail store owners with app developers
- Over 1,500 applications which include extensions and plugins to extend the functionality of the store
- A full-time, 24/7 support via phone, chat, and tutorials as well as the Shopify community forum.
There are some critical disadvantages despite the numerous upsides with Shopify. First, on every sale, there is an additional transaction fee if you don’t use Shopify payment. Moreover, for additional functionality, many of the extensions aren’t free. This translates to additional running cost for your store.
Many times, Magento is viewed as the market leader among the platforms of e-commerce. It also prides to have about 25% of the market share. Many online stores including big names like Pepe Jeans & Liverpool, Burger King, and Huawei use this platform.
This is possible to Magento’s scalability and overall reliability. For most of the online stores at the enterprise level, Magento is considered to be among the best E-commerce platforms.
Advantages of using the Magento E-Commerce Platform
- Open to all sorts of customization as it has an open source platform
- Ease of management and use
- Over 9000 extensions and plugins at your disposal
- Ease of selling on social media platforms thanks to free extensions that are social commerce capable
- The platform comes full with an extensive and comprehensive resource library for growth, demos, online interaction by store owners and app developers as well as store management
Magento has a broad range of pricing for its packages. They range all the way from the free basic community version to the advances enterprise. However, for customization, you’ll need well-versed developers due to the platform’s open source and flexible nature.
This platform has artists, and individually run small-scale or home-based businesses as their primary targets. Since 2005, Big Cartel has assisted a million plus artists with their slogan ‘We believe in the artist.’ This has been to market and sells their creations online.
Big Cartel is often regarded as a sure way E-commerce Solutions for artists and other creative individuals to enter the world of e-commerce.
Benefits that accrue to using Big Cartel Platform
- It is straightforward to set up and manage a store
- Comes with aesthetically sound themes
- Accessibility to Facebook Shop
- A comprehensive WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) code editor
One of the major downsides is that Big Cartel results in limited functionality. This is a clear limitation for those who want more than just to market and sell products. Only two of the twelve themes are optimized to be responsive in mobile devices.
It does not matter how many articles you read about ecommerce platforms , the only person who can determine the best among the above E-Commerce Platforms is you. All that matters is whether your platform of choice allows you to market and sell your products in the best manner possible to your clients.